skip to Main Content

Storm damage to commercial properties – who is responsible?

buildings damaged by weather

With the UK experiencing unprecedented storms recently, many businesses have, and will continue to suffer damage and loss if these weather patterns continue. If your rented business property gets damaged during a storm, who is responsible for making repairs? What if the property is no longer fit for use? In this article, we look at storm damage and commercial tenancies.

My business premises was damaged during a storm, what can I do?

Where your business premises are damaged during a storm, this will generally be covered by the landlord’s buildings insurance. However, it is crucial to note that if the property has not been well maintained and damage has occurred over time, the insurer may not be willing to payout. It is a tenant’s responsibility to inform the landlord of any necessary repairs as soon as they arise to mitigate the possibility of severe damage.

My equipment and stock were damaged during a storm, what can I do?

If your equipment or stock is damaged during a storm, or as a result of damage caused during a storm, this is generally covered by your contents insurance. Generally, any additional fixtures or fittings that you have installed and paid for are your responsibility to repair, replace and insure.

My business cannot operate until storm damage repairs are made, what can I do?

Storm damage can have a huge impact on your business, and you may be unable to operate until repairs are made. You may have a business interruption clause in your insurance policy that will cover these circumstances. However, if you are in dispute with your landlord about making these repairs and you do not have such a policy in place, every day is costing you money. Several options are available to you if your landlord will not make the repairs as set out below.

My landlord is refusing to make repairs following a storm, what can I do?

Commercial leases and repairs obligations are a complex area of the law and a source of many legal disputes. You should seek legal advice on your specific situation from a specialist solicitor who will advise you on the best course of action for your situation.


If you make the repairs yourself and deduct the cost from any rent due to the landlord. You mustn’t take this course of action without legal advice.

Court declaration

It is possible to get a declaration from the Court setting out what action the landlord must take or allowing the tenant to take the self-help action outlined above.


Where the landlord’s delay is costing your business money, you may be able to bring a claim for compensation, known as damages, against them.

If you would like any more information relating to this article then please feel free to contact me: Telephone – 020 8221 8055, via email: or visit my profile.

This is not legal advice; it is intended to provide information of general interest about current legal issues.

+ posts
buildings damaged by weather
Back To Top

Powered by How to backup and restore wordpress site

error: Content is protected !!